Yakkes Foundation Column and Blog

Welcome to the Yakkes Foundation Columns and Blogs!

Monday, September 11, 2006

Texel fly-out

For the first time in the history of Yakkes, we had to cancel an event, and than especially the one we were looking forward the most to, the Texel Fly-inn 2006. Texel always gives you a feeling like coming home. It’s the scenic or perhaps the hospitality of Ed de Bruin, anyway it was a pity to cancel. The Red Yak was still in Bonn Hangelar which I suppose to pick due to Nicole having a cold, the Camouflage Yak still had a technical problem, the blue Yak’s owner had other things to do and I could not fly the white one because I had to pick up the Red one in Bonn Hangelar. After all we could not go anyway due to the weather at Sunday.

Asking me dad to drop me of at Bonn Hangelar with his Mooney, gave me the opportunity to fly with him again since a long time. It was quite well, 78 years old and still flying like a razor blade, I’ll sign for that one.


Bonn Hangelar did look quite different as the week before, no VIP tents, all companies were in action, actually a quite busy airport in a very nice area. Last time I could not see the scenic due to the poor weather conditions, if you have the opportunity to go there, please do so.

Due to circumstances I decided to fly the aircraft to Budel EHDB this time, approaching Budel in a sporty kind of way gave me a couple of complains of the local neighborhood, boy they should come to spend a couple of days at our home base in Belgium, than they would know what an aircraft sounds like… what a %*&^#sss.. !!

Anyway not feeling to welcome, I was planning to do as much as damage control I could do and get the aircraft out of there ASAP, which actually was the next morning. The aircraft could be hangared that night, thanks Inge! I could have flown directly to our home base, but the 8 minute flight would not give me the satisfaction for the day. I knew there was a fly-inn with my friends at Zoersel EBZR, one of the most beautiful airfields in Belgium. I did not have to convince my passenger to much to go there, so off we went inbound Zoersel.

Sorry, no photo source available

Good fly-inn, pretty busy considering the weather. A lot of stands, old cars, aircrafts and off course those fat juicy hamburgers! Had one of those and off we went to Sanicole. Lining up at Zoersel, ATC requested me to conduct a low approach at the airfield. If you know Zoersel, they’ve got those fire lanes all over the field. I did not know were ATC wanted us to do the low approach at which altitude, so I did it everywhere through the fire lanes just to be sure and as low as possible not to disturb any local people… We are not the worst guys around !

Scared the hell out of this guy, zooming through his camera

Home sweet home, the Red Yak is in his stable now, waiting for maintenance next week.

Btw, did find some footage of Peter (one of the Yak flyers) having fun at Bonn Hangelar flying the B25 this time, enjoy: click it !

Talk to ya soon,

Jerome

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home